In the article “Creative from the Christmas workshop” we have already given you a little insight into the creation of our new “28mm Modular City Builder Tabletop System”. Since we were still unsatisfied with the wall thickness and the adhesive points on the individual segments, we did a lot of reworking there. When we realized that the system was final, we immediately thought of a very large building. So the front view of the later set “Regnarian State Chancellery” was created pretty quickly. Then gradually the rear segments were added. Until we had planned a building in terms of dimensions, some pencil tips were running out;) The finished blueprint was then digitized.
It was something completely new for us to create such a large set. Knowing the pure size information is completely different than ultimately standing in front of the final product and being able to touch everything. The base plate had to be almost twice as large as planned in advance.
As the material for the base plate, we decided to use several 1cm thick MDF boards. We then supported them with 1.8cm x 4cm wooden slats so that nothing could warp and be carried better. We also needed the additional space for the later wiring of the lanterns.
We quickly noticed that the room would be quite cramped. For comparison: the white blanket under the MDF base plate covers a table tennis table that we put in the room as a table. The diorama eventually became longer and wider than the table tennis table and we had to move to take reasonable pictures … 😀
After we assembled the base plate and painted some parts of the building, we were able to make the first test. The road planning was also created. At the time, however, how we were designing the street was not yet fully thought out. We had a lot of ideas, but few of them were really feasible. In order for everything to be visually harmonious, the street had to be exactly as wide as the passage through our building specified.
For the sidewalks, we chose the width of two of our floor segments in a row (9.4 cm). We only had to take a width of 4.7 cm before. But since we also wanted to integrate lanterns into the sidewalk, the space for miniatures would not have been enough. In the final test, we transferred the floor plan of the building to the MDF base plate with a pencil. This allowed us to continue working on the slab without the building blocking our space or the view. We sawed a template made of stable HDF so that we could mark the sidewalks faster. Now we could hold the template to the marked floor plan and draw all the paths much faster. Only at the corners and the passages we had to be careful not to go too far.
When marking the sidewalks it became clear that the plate had to grow again. For this we cut extra MDF pieces so that the sidewalks and the street could be completely led around the building. With the slats mentioned at the beginning, a plug-in system was screwed to both MDF boards. So that the extra panels could no longer move, we attached screws with butterfly nuts to the substructure. In this way we can remove the extra pieces during transport and then position them again exactly on the spot.
The painting took a lot of time with such a large facade. In the end we were a bit afraid to do the wash. If there had been mistakes, we could have started painting from the front in the worst case. That would have meant many hours of work for free. Fortunately, everything worked out and we were able to continue with the design of the courtyard. For this we have created a special mixture of stones which we then painted with Model Wash Dark Gray. That gave a nice depth effect and a certain drama.
For the road, we chose sandpaper (60 grit). On the one hand, it is already black and the surface gives the appearance of asphalt. On the other hand, we were able to highlight the surface with light gray. We cut the width with sharp scissors and then glued it to the MDF board with wood glue. Since we had already glued on the sidewalks at that point, we no longer had to measure the gaps and were able to cut out each sandpaper precisely by stopping. We were able to hide the transition from one sandpaper to the other with black wash.
In conclusion, we can only say how proud we are of this project. From the initial idea to the finished building, there are countless hours of work, frustration but even more joy in the hobby and in the design process to be able to give something to the tabletop hobby. I hope you like our new product category – Modular City Buildings. We still have an incredible number of ideas just waiting to be implemented. Even if it sounds like advertising at this point: Follow us on Facebook and check our website regularly. This is how we can best reach you and fulfill a perhaps long-held wish for a new special building, vehicle or an accessory. We would be very happy about your help to build a small community.
Bye for now!